Box Truck Insurance in New Hampshire
What is box truck insurance?
Whether you own a business that uses a box truck as part of your operation or subcontracts with other businesses to move goods, box truck insurance is critical to protect your business.
Though there is no specific box truck insurance, box truck owners can purchase commercial auto insurance designed to meet their particular needs of driving a box truck.
Purchasing box truck insurance can help New Hampshire businesses that transport goods between locations or to customers.
What New Hampshire business should carry commercial box truck insurance?
Commercial box truck insurance can be used to insure many straight trucks.
This makes commercial box truck insurance applicable to many different types of businesses. For example, all of the following businesses might have straight trucks to insure:
- Last-mile deliverers and local couriers
- State and regional distributors
- Furniture manufacturers and retailers
- Used appliance repair and retail businesses
- Plumbers, electricians, carpenters, etc.
- Concessionaires and food trucks
- Local and regional movers
What types of straight trucks can commercial box truck insurance cover?
Commercial box truck insurance policies can cover many types of straight trucks. Businesses should consider this policy type if they have standard straight trucks, cargo cutaways, rack trucks, reefers, tilt cabs, or similar equipment.
What coverages are included in commercial box truck policies?
Commercial box truck policies provide a variety of coverages. Some of the most common (and often most recommended) coverage options include:
- Bodily Injury Liability Coverage, which may cover injuries to others for which the insured is legally responsible from a covered accident
- Collision Coverage, which may cover damage that a truck sustains during accidents with other vehicles
- Comprehensive Coverage may cover damage that a truck sustains outside of accidents, such as vandalism, theft, and fire.
- Property Damage Liability Coverage, which may cover property damage of others that the insured is found legally responsible from a covered accident
- Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Coverage may cover the insured's bodily injury if involved in an accident and found not-at-fault if the other party does not have sufficient insurance coverage
Uninsured/Underinsured motorist coverage is essential in New Hampshire, as the state doesn’t always mandate auto insurance.
Does Box Truck Insurance include coverage for cargo?
Box truck insurance and other business auto policies do not typically include coverage for the property being transported, whether you own the property or were hired to transport it. Instead, this is often insured by a separate coverage known as cargo or inland marine coverage.
If you are hired to transport anything, review the contract carefully, understand when you take on contractual responsibility for the item(s), and ensure your policy responds accordingly.
Responsibility can be very detailed, and in insurance, the details matter. For example, are you taking possession of an item while loading it onto your truck, once it is in your truck, or at its final destination?
Speak with an insurance professional for guidance on how to best meet your coverage needs.
How much does box truck insurance cost?
The cost of insurance for straight trucks is based on many factors. For example, all of the following might impact premiums:
- Number of trucks being insured
- Year, make, and model of the truck(s)
- Size and weight limits of the truck(s)
- Type of straight truck(s)
- Drivers’ years of experience and past driving records
- States where the truck(s) are driven
An independent insurance agent can help businesses check how much insuring their trucks would cost.
How can businesses get box truck insurance?
If you need help getting insurance for straight trucks that are registered in New Hampshire, contact the independent insurance agents of HPM Insurance. Our agents are well-versed in commercial vehicle insurance, including box truck insurance, and will make sure your vehicles and your business are protected well.