We almost made it through without a major snowstorm in NH this year, but as all New Englanders know, October through April is fair game for a wicked big stawm.
5 Tips to Prepare for a Nor'Easter
1. Have all emergency contact information on hand, including:
- Home and auto insurance company name, policy number, and contact information.
Many insurance companies have both phone and online reporting capabilities. Here is a link to the companies HPM Insurance represents, and claim reporting information. Insurance companies are staffed during regular office hours, but there is typically 24/7 reporting as well for emergencies.
If you have a large claim, such as a tree on your home or a fire, you should call your claim to your company vs. reporting it online. This should help expedite the process.
- Utility information to report or monitor power outages, including:
- Note all critical information on paper. Computers and mobile devices are great for reference and note-taking, but not if there is no power.
2. Ensure essentials are on hand, including:
- food and water
Even if you don't lose power and the storm does not cause any damage to your home, you may still be stuck should a tree block your only way out.
- windshield washer fluid
- salt for the driveway
- shovels and ice scrapers
- full tank of gas
3. Protect Your Property:
- Move cars into a garage if possible or away from large trees.
- If your home is damaged, you are required to make reasonable and necessary repairs to protect the property from further damage.
4. Stay safe!
- Ensure you stay at least 30 feet away from downed power lines and contact 911 should you see one. If live it could cause severe injury or death.
- Stay home if possible to allow the snow plowers to do their job with less traffic.
- Use a generator safely.
- Charge mobile devices and any battery backup chargers should the power go out.
How to file a claim as an HPM Insurance Client:
There are two options:
- Contact your insurance company directly to file a claim. For a list of carriers that HPM Insurance represents, visit our File a Claim page. Should you have a claim outside our normal operating hours of Monday - Friday from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm, this is recommended.
- Contact HPM Insurance to file your claim on your behalf. Experiencing a claim is stressful, so you may need some extra guidance. If so, your account executive will be happy to start the process.
Stay safe! ❄️